Dr. Kishore Debnath
Ph.D (IIT Roorkee)
(Formerly UCE, Burla)
(Formerly UCE, Burla)
(Formerly UCE, Burla)
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
Professor ( HAG )
National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
National Institute of Technology Meghalaya
Production Engineering (FMS, Robotics,
Mechatronics, CIM, CAD/CAM), Optimization Techniques in Production Engineering,
Product Design, Rapid Product Development, Quality Engineering
FMS, CAD/CAM, Robotics, Mechatronics, CIM, AMT,
Virtual Manufacturing, Production
Work experience and knowledge: Joined as lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in University College of Engineering, Burla in May, 1986, promoted to the post of Senior Lecturer in May 1992 and subsequently to the post of Reader in Mechanical Engineering in April, 1997. Joined as Professor at National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, Orissa, India in April 2004.Worked in the field of conventional production engineering, discretization methods in analysis of production processes.Had some initial training in CNC machine tools (part programming and operation).Extensively worked in the areas of CAD/CAM, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.Undergone extensive and specialised training on operation and control of Robots at BARC, Trombay. Undergone training on modeling and simulation of robots, robotic workcells and factory floors at DENEB, Bangalore. Underwent Management Capacity Development Programme at MDI, Gurgaon. Underwent Corporate Governance Management Training conducted by Department of Public Enterprises, Government of India, at New Delhi.
i) Subjects Taught:
Engineering Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials, Basic Manufacturing Processes, Manufacturing Science and Technology,Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Production Management, Operations Management, Quality Engineering, Metrology & Quality Assurance,Machine Dynamics, Non-Conventional Machining Processes, High Velocity Forming Processes, Modern Manufacturing Processes, CAD and Computer Graphics, Robotics and FMS, Engineering Drawing, Product Design, Rapid Product Development Processes, Elements of Design.
B) Post Graduate :
Production Technology, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Production Management, Operations Management, Modern Manufacturing Processes, CAD and Computer Graphics, Robotics, FMS, and Mechatronics, Advanced Product Design, Value Engineering, Advanced Mechatronics, Design for Quality and Reliability.
ii) Technical Literature: Through the years the following areas have been covered in studying and reviewing the technical literature:(a) Discretization of production processes related to metal forming, (b) Machinability, (c) Adaptive control, (d) flexible manufacturing systems (including GT), (e) Robotics ( kinematics, modeling, simulation, control, tele-robotics, control, simulation, sensors, robotic assembly, multirobotic environments, cooperative robots), (f) Computer Integrated Manufacturing( architecture, control methodology, networking protocols), (g) JIT, (h) Management Information System including Decision Support System, (i) Information Technology in manufacturing and (j) Holonic manufacturing.
iii) Design: Design of Robotic Assembly Work cells, CIM Environment, Mechatronic Press and Robotic Manipulators and Network Design for FMS and CIM. Presently designing a mobile manipulator for riding over the stairs.
iv) Programming Languages:Computer Programming Languages: FORTRAN-77, BASIC, and C++; Robot Programming Languages: VAL and AML, Simulation Programming Languages: BCL, SPL, LISP.
v) Design and Development: Developed (a) a mechatronic press for use in robotic assembly cell, (b) sensor-based robotic work cell for parts assembly, (c) an FMS setup for teaching and training (d) a SCARA manipulator(SMUCE 7545), (e) integrated manufacturing cell (f) force sensor for robotic manipulator and (g) robot grippers
vi) Software tools: Special software tools such as ANSYS, ADAMS, AutoCAD, MATLAB, Labtech Note Book, Matrox Vision, Master CAM, CATIA, ProE, QUEST, IGRIP, GRASP, VNC, CIM (Denford), Walli (Feedback) and quite a good number of general purpose software tools like MS Office, Visual Studio. MATLAB etc.
vii) Laboratory Development:
1. Development of Robotics and Flexible Automation Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCE, Burla
2. Development of Metal Machining Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
3. Development of CAD/CAM Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
4. Development of Nonconventional Machining Laboratory, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
5. Modernization of Central Workshop, UCE Burla and NIT Rourkela
6. Development of Language Laboratory, NIT Rourkela
7. Development of Product Design and Development Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
8. Development of Creative Automation Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
9. Development of Art and Aesthetics Design Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
10. Development of CAD Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
11. Development of Ergonomic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Industrial Design, NIT Rourkela
More than 150 publications at various national and international
levels including a monogram on Management Information System for
ISTE, New Delhi and 7 Book Chapters.
Ph.D.: 19 (Completed - 11, Continuing - 08)
1. AICTE TAPTEC Project on “Flexible Manufacturing System” - 1996-1998
2. UGC Project on “Integrated Manufacturing” - 1998-2000
3. DST Project on “Virtual Manufacturing using Information Technology” - 1999
4. AICTE TAPTEC Project on “Manufacture of Wear Resistant Materials through Powder Metallurgical Process” – 1999
5. AICTE MODROBS Project on “Modernization of Central Computer Facility” – 1999-2002
6. AICTE MODROBS Project on “Modernization of Metal Machining Laboratory” – 2000
1. Assistant Superintendent, Students’ Hostel. :1986-1989
2. Superintendent, Students’ Hostel : 1999 - 2001
3. Professor I/c, Central Computer Facility : 1998 - 2000
4. Professor I/c, Central Transport Facility : 2000 - 2002
5. Member, Committee for Purchase of Computers and Peripherals
6. Member, College Purchase Committee , UCE, Burla
7. Member, Project Advisory Committee, UCE, Burla
8. Member, Research and Development Committee, UCE, Burla
9. Member, Academic Advisory Committee, IIPM, Kansbahal, Rourkela, Orissa
10. Head, Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, UCE, Burla
11. Vice Chairman, Joint Entrance Examination (Engg. & Medical), Orissa– 2002
12. Head, Training and Placement, NIT, Rourkela, 2004 - 2015
13. Co-coordinator, TEQIP( World Bank funded Project) , NIT, Rourkela, 2007 - 2011
14. Head, Technology Innovation and Industry Relations, NIT Rourkela, 2009 - continuing
15. Member, Board of Governors, NIT Rourkela, 2010 - 2012
16. Member, Building and Works Committee, NIT Rourkela, 2010 - 2012
17. Independent Director, Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), 2011 - 2014
18. Professor and Head, Department of Industrial Design, NIT, Rourkela, 2011 –2015
19. Dean (Faculty Welfare), NIT Rourkela, 2015 - Continuing
1. Fellow, IE (I)
2. Member, ASME
3. Sr. Member, IEEE
4. Life Member, ISTE
5. Life Member, Association for Machines and Mechanisms(AMM)
6. Member, ISTAM
7. Member, International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology (IACSIT)
8. Member, International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
1. Symbiotic Relationship between Institutes and Industries, REC Rourkela, 1998
2. Computer Integrated Manufacturing, IIPM Kansbahal, 2005
3. Next Generation Manufacturing and Information Technology, UCE Burla, 2008
4. Intelligent Robot, Sambalpur University, 2009.
5. Keynote Speaker, ICACC, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
6. Keynote Speaker, ICCET, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
7. Keynote Speaker, ICROM, 2014 (IACSIT Conference), Nottingham, UK
8. Keynote Speaker, Materials for Future, National Seminar on "Recent Developments in Composite and Nanomaterials (RDCN-2015)" February 2015, Bhubaneswar.
1. Visiting Scientist, Department of Remote Handling and Robotics, BARC, Trombay, 1995
2. Visiting Professor, Moscow Technological University, Stankin, May 2001.
3. MDP Course, MDI Gurgaon, 2005
4. Visiting Scientist, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea, 2006
5. Expert Member, BOS (Mechanical and Manufacturing)
6. Expert Member, Committee for Restructuring of Syllabi in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
7. Member/Chairman, Accreditation Team, National Board of Accreditation
8. Expert Member, Selection of Scientists, DRDO
9. Visiting Academician, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
10. Visiting Academician, De Montfort University, United Kingdom
11. Chief Guest Editor, Automation, Control and Intelligent Systems
12. Reviewerof Journals,IJMT, IJPR, IMechE and more
1. Recipient of National Scholarship, 1979
2. Recipient of SAIL Scholarship, 1981
3. Stood Second in Intermediate of Science, Sambalpur University, 1981
4. Stood First in M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering (Specialization: Production Engineering), Sambalpur University, 1990
5. Recipient of Erasmus Mundus Fellowship, 2014
6. Engineering Congress IE(I) Award, 2016
7. BrundabanSahu Memorial Gold Awrad, 2016
1. School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, Leicester, UK
2. Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (STU), Vazovova, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
1. Coordinator, National Workshop on Industry-Institute Interaction(NWIII), November 30- December 2, 2006 at National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
2. Coordinator, National Workshop on Pedagogy for Engineering Education, November 10-12, 2008
3. Coordinator, National Workshop on Pedagogy for Engineering Education, February 7-9, 2009
4. Coordinator, National Seminar on Industry-Institute Partnership(IIP), May1-2, 1997 at University College of Engineering, Burla
5. Coordinator, National Seminar on Business Process Re-engineering using InformationTechnology (BPRIT), held during September 6-7, 1998 at University College of Engineering,Burla.
6. Coordinator, Short Term Training Programme on Recent Developments in Manufacturing and Materials Processing, December 18-30, 2000 at University College of Engineering, Burla.
7. Convener, Industry-Institute Interaction Programme(IIP) – 2002, UCE, Burla
8. Chairman, National Level Students’ Seminar ” Manufacturing-2002” , UCE, Burla
9. Chairman, Technical Session in International seminar on Mechanical Engineering,(ICME-2001) Dhaka, Bangladesh
10. Honor Chair, ICCNT, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Chennai, India
11. Honor Chair, ICMEE, 2009(IEEE Conference), Chennai, India
12. Honor Chair, International Conference on Software Technology and Engineering (ICSTE 2009) Chennai, India. July 24-26, 2009
13. Session Chair, ICACC, 2009 (IEEE Conference), Singapore
14. Session Chair, SASE International Conference,2015, Las Vegas, USA
1. As Head, Manufacturing Science & Engineering at VSSUT, Burla, Odisha (1999 – 2004)
· Established New Laboratories on –
o Metal Machining
o Non-Conventional Machining
o Robotics and FMS
· Developed a SCARA Robot (SMUCE-1000) with 10 Kg payload in collaboration with ShiballoyMultiflex, Bhubaneswar.
· Motivated faculty members for attracting sponsored projects and carrying out research work. These resulted in receiving three sponsored projects and research guidance at Doctoral levels. Previous to this there was no sponsored project in the Department and doctoral research work was never carried out.
2. As Head, Training & Placement Centre, NIT, Rourkela (2004 – Till Date)
· Prepared Placement Policy of the Institute.
· Introduced multiple level job concepts.
· Introduced Automation for Placement Activities.
· Initiated Foreign Internship program under (Summer Internship and Research Experience).
· Achieved sustainable growth in Placement of students and paid Internship program.
3. As Coordinator, TEQIP, NIT, Rourkela (2006 – 2010)
· Implemented the World Bank funded project successfully.
· It may be mentioned that NIT, Rourkela was the last Centrally Funded Institute to receive the project. But due to successful and timely implementation of the project, NIT, Rourkela was ranked 1st by the World Bank for project implementation on the basis of a number of performance audit and financial audit.
· This qualified NIT, Rourkela for receiving the next phase of the project (TEQIP-II) along with two Centres of Excellence. No other institute in India has been awarded with two Centres of Excellence.
4. As Head, Industrial Design, NIT, Rourkela (2011 – 2015)
· Founder faculty and Head of the Department
· Designed a new curriculum in consultation with other Institutes / Universities and related industries.
· Established new laboratories viz.
o Product Design and Development Laboratory
o Creative Automation Laboratory
o CAD Laboratory
o Art & Aesthetics Laboratory
o Ergonomics Laboratory
· Attracted industrial consultancy in the areas of Product Design & Prototype Building.
· Collaborated with Indian product industries and international universities for the benefit of the faculty and especially of the students.
5. As Independent Director, Bharat Coking Coal Ltd, Dhanbad (2011 – 2014)
· Contributed towards improving the Operation & Maintenance of Heavy Earth Moving Machinery (HEMM) and the ideas given resulted in improving utilization of HEMM and enhancing the productivity.
· Introduced the Concept of Maintenance and Rate Contract (MARC) in the procurement process of heavy and costly machineries that improved the reliability and guaranteed performance.
· Monitored the Green Channels successfully.
Results: BCCL which was under BIFR and had a target to come out of BIFR by May, 2015 could come out as a profitable company in November, 2013.
6. As Head, Centre for Technology Innovation and Industry Relations (TIIR), NIT, Rourkela (2012 – Till Date)
· Prepared the policy document for the Centre, for Incubation and for establishing Nodal R&D Centres by Industries.
· Collaborated with Government Agencies and Industries for funding and collaborating.
· One project received from MSME Department, Government of India. Three projects being actively considered by Government of Odisha.
· One project received from MHRD-DST, Government of India for setting up of Incubation Centre.
· One project received from Government of India for setting up of TBI.
· One project received from Planning and Coordination Department, Government of Odisha for setting up of Innovation Centre
· One proposal submitted to Skill Development for creating Skill Development Centre.
· Three companies have initiated the process of setting up their R&D Centres.
· SixIncubatees have been admitted and others’ applications are under consideration.
· Faculty, Staff and Students are involved and exposed to the Real World challenges.
7. As Dean(Faculty Welfare), NIT, Rourkela
· Prepared the policy document for utilization of Professional Development Allowance (PDA), Faculty Development Allowance (FDA) and Department Development Allowance (DDA). Collaborated with Government Agencies and Industries for funding and collaborating.
· As Chairman Advisory Committee for Faculty Recruitment (ACoFaR) at NIT Rourkela; proactively searched for faculty, conducted scrutiny and coordinated the entire recruitment process of faculty recruitment.
Developed procedures and policies for recruitment and
deployment of officers and other staff in the institute. The application and scrutiny
process are made on-line and transparent.